Whether for yourself or a loved one, choosing a nursing home is an important and often difficult decision. Thoroughly discuss the issue of nursing home living with the individual involved and their personal physician. It is critical to consider the travel abilities of those who will be visting the nursing home. The first narrowing of your search can be base on these limits.
1. Research and Prepare for Nursing Home Visits
- Schedule appointments for informational meetings and tours of nursing homes through the homes’ admissions representatives. It is important to acquire copies of the facility’s brochure, admissions policies, and the resident’s bill of rights.
- Receive additional information by contacting the Executive Office of Elder Affairs and asking to speak with the ombudsman who represents the nursing homes that you are interested in.
- Contact the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Division of Health Care Quality to get the “Survey Performance Tool for Nursing Homes” or a copy of survey findings and complaint reports for the nursing homes that you are considering.
2. Your Nursing Home Visits
- Meet with the admissions representative, administrator, or other contact.
- During your tour of the nursing home, observe and take mental notes about the interactions between staff and residents.
- Try and speak with the residents and staff about their feelings and experiences.
- Make observations, and do not be afraid to ask questions.
3. Narrow Your Choices and Make a Selection
- After eliminating some of your choices, try to re-visit remaining nursing homes at a different time than you visited before.
- Schedule a meeting with an administrator to discuss specific concerns regarding care needs or personal preferences.
- Request that you participate in specific care planning sessions and decisions.
- After selecting, make sure to visit often and take an active role in your loved one’s care.
If you or a loved one would like legal advice regarding estate planning, trusts, or nursing home abuse, please contact The Law Offices of Adam J. Tobin